Snapshot from this week’s presentation for “StARTers: Assaggi d’Arte” at the Siena Art Institute with the artist and designer Edoardo Malagigi, being introduced by artist and former student, Irene Lupi! http://www.sienaart.org/Arte-in-città/StARTers/ …
2014 Spring Projects
Projects from the Spring 2014 Semester of the Art & Society course.
Spring 2018 Semester off to a good start!
Orientation activities are underway for the newly-arrived students of the Spring 2018 semester at the Siena Art Institute and Siena School for Liberal Arts.
Our students arrived to Florence and then we spent 2 nights at the Fattoria San Donato agriturismo which is outside of San Gimignano, between Siena and Florence. We had to go through some arrivals paperwork like the permit of stay application and Itailan language placement test as well as some more fun activities like discussions of cultural customs in Italy. A big highlight was touring the historic center of San Gimignano and visiting the contemporary art installations at Galleria Continua. Today is the start of our 3-week intro unit, with mornings dedicated to our intensive courses for Italian Language and culture, and afternoons scheduled with activities to explore Siena and begin the projects in the context of the Art & Society course.
You can find more details on our semester program calendar linked here.
Glimpse of Fall 2017 artworks
Want to catch a glimpse of the great work exhibited by the Siena Art Institute’s wonderful Fall 2017 group of young artists? Check out the full video on the Siena Art Institute’s YouTube channel. See you there!
#sillumina #giovanisì #toscanaincontemporanea2017 #regionetoscana #stavrosniarchosfoundation#contemporaryart #emergingartists
Video documentation of Spring 2017 Exhibition
Images from End-of-Semester Show
Speaking with Writer-in-Residence Sue Hubbard
Open Studio with Mequitta Ahuja
Wrapping up her spring fellowship at the Siena Art Institute, Mequitta Ahuja hosted an open studio, also showcasing work that students had created around the theme of the self-portrait, inspired by Mequitta’s work.
Self-Portrait Explorations with Spring Project Fellow, Mequitta Ahuja
See more about Mequitta’s work on her residency profile page:
Art & Society, Mid-Term Critique
Art and Society Trip to Florence, March 21
We enjoyed a day in Florence, visiting sites related to our project work in the Art & Society course:
- Xenos Contemporary Art Gallery, current show: “Spacing Place / Placing Space by Walker Keigh Jernigan. http://xenoscontemporanea.com/exihibition/spacing-placeplacing-space/
- Base Project Space ( http://www.baseitaly.org/ ) for exhibit of Franco Vaccari
- Le Murate Center, with sound installation Nuclei (Vitali) by Valeria Muledda for Studiovuoto http://www.lemurate.it/
- Strozzina Center for Contemporary Art, exhibit “Family Matters” (http://www.strozzina.org/en/exhibitions/questioni-di-famiglia/)
- Palazzo Strozzi exhibit “Pontormo e Rosso Fiorentino: Diverging Paths of Mannerism” http://www.palazzostrozzi.com/SezionePontormorosso.jsp?idSezione=2770&idProgetto=2&idLinguaSito=2